Home

Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Deplasticified Diet

Looking to lose a few extra pounds or just up for a eco-challenge? I've got the diet for you!

http://www.lovelytrash.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/museo-aero-solar2.jpg
After watching the film, Bag It, I realized just how much plastic we consume (a million plastic bags a minute!). So for a few days I took single-use plastic out of my life. I'm not going to lie to you- it was hard. When I went to take my cereal out in the morning, I couldn't eat it because the cereal was in a single use bag inside the cardboard container. During work, my boss brought us all back Its-It Ice Cream Sandwiches…which I couldn't eat because, of course, the delicious cold treat was wrapped in plastic. But, this challenge got me to think. For a majority of human history, people lived without plastic so how has it infiltrated our food system so fast?

http://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/12450488/disp/c4615d3767cbcc5b26df354e2025893d.png
It's astonishing what you find out. In case you didn't know, plastic water bottles are made out of oil. If you filled a plastic water bottle a quarter of the way up with oil, that is the amount of oil each water bottle uses, not including transportation.


But in addition to the environmental benefits of not eating foods wrapped in plastic, there are also amazing health benefits. You wouldn't be eating processed foods, but instead the freshest foods available.

How is this possible? Bring your own bags, jars and containers and make your way to the nearest farmers market. Store up on fresh ingredients, and make your own food or visit allrecipes.com to find a meal with the ingredients you have. I guarantee you- it' the best diet out there!

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-xpa1/t1.0-1/
c8.0.160.160/p160x160/603600_279773882188343_1385483181_n.png


Turns out that there is a whole Plastic Free Diet Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PlasticDiet?fref=nf

No comments:

Post a Comment