Home

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Green Burials

While watching the incredible documentary A Will for The Woods, I learned about this new idea of green burials. I guess I shouldn't say a "new" idea, because this burial practice has been going on around the world for ages, and is just being brought back to the US. The basic principle is to leave the world with a positive touch. There is no vault or toxic embalming. Instead, the practice uses biodegradable materials that allow for minimum environmental harm and for some, a more spiritual connection to nature.

The strongest argument for a green burial in my opinion is that now the deceased have an opportunity to preserve pristine land that might otherwise be cleared for construction. For many, this idea of purpose even after life is reassuring and makes death a little less frightening. As Clark, the subject of the film, puts it "without [a green burial], dying from lymphoma seems pointless. My funeral is being used for a purpose- to educate." Unbelievable amounts of wood, steel and concrete are used through conventional funerals. It is estimated that 1.6 million tons of concrete are being used annually for funerals. A green burial wouldn't.

I like the way the founder of Ramsey Creek Preserve put it. She said that in a green burial, one is "overwhelmed by the aspect of life" through the incredible natural surroundings.

I know that when I leave this world, this is the way I'll want to go. Check out the film's website to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment